Savory and Delicious Lemon, Garlic and Chimichurri Herbed Chicken!
- 4 Cornish hens OR 1 Whole Roaster Chicken
- One package SambaFlavor ChimiChurri Dry Mix (green)
- One sliced lemon
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 30 cloves of peeled garlic
- Additional herbs of your choice (for garnish)
- Salt to your taste
*Be sure to use a roasting pan or casserole dish that fits the bird(s) somewhat snugly. You need to be able to spoon the sauce at the bottom of the pan and baste the birds, but if the pan is too large, the liquid is too shallow to protect the garlic and it will get very dark!
- Wash and pat the hen(s) dry.
- Pour half of the Chimichurri Dry Mix packet into your hands and use it as a rub, coating the hen(s) as thoroughly as possible.
- Sprinkle salt on chicken lightly. If you are using unsalted chicken broth you can use more.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the chicken broth, white wine, and remaining Chimichurri Dry Mix.
- Pour this mixture over the bird(s) and roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 25-35 minutes (25 for cornish hens, 35 for a large bird). This will yield gorgeous golden-crispy birds.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and from this point on, baste the bird(s) every ten minutes with the sauce at the bottom of the pan until all juices run clear and they are done. The sauce should be thick enough, but if not, remove the birds and reduce the sauce further until it takes shape. Anything thicker than “runny” is just perfect!
Divide the birds as you wish, and serve them over a fluffy bed of rice. Spoon the sauce and roasted garlic cloves over everything, and garnish with a fresh herb of your choice!